From:
John Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Dec 2008 08:08:26 -0500
Usually there's 2 screws in each side of the drive, though I've come across
a lot of companies and people that get cheap and do only one on each side,
which is fine I guess, and 2 cables in the back unless it's an older
computer in which case there's 3, all having very different connectors that
can all only go one way. Once you undo all that, it should just slide out so
you can slide a new one in. If the computer is more than a couple years old
I wouldn't worry about this because it will be an IDE drive but if it's a
fairly new computer,  make sure the drive is IDE and not SATA. IDE can be
figured out by the almost 3 inch wide ribbon cable connected to the back of
the drive, but SATA CD drives aren't very common yet anyway, it's just
something to check though if the computer's more than about 2 or so years
old, it's definitely IDE. IDE can also be referred to as PATA. When I built
this computer you could get SATA hard drives but not CD drives and that was
only 3 years ago, I know me having a computer for 3 years is a very rare
thing.