From:
Buddy Brannan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Dec 2008 22:54:56 -0500
On Dec 29, 2008, at 10:17 PM, Anthony Vece wrote:
> You better be certain that the SMA connecter will hold that weight!

I am. I've had this antenna on this radio, exclusively, for the better
part of six months at least. The connector itself goes up maybe an
inch, perhaps less, and the spring (which takes all the weight and
helps absorb any force put on the antenna) sits right on there, with
the telescoping part of the antenna next. This spring is something
over an inch long, I'd say. Anyway, contrast this with the flexible
antenna I had, which had the SMA connector and a very rigid and
relatively heavy (relative to the rest of the antenna) bottom section
a couple inches long. Absolutely no give there, and believe me, it's
been way more of a problem than this Smiley antenna has. I may not be
explaining how this thing is put together very well, but trust me on
this, it's a very good design, mechanically speaking, in my opinion
anyway.