BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
JIM HICKS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 2010 08:07:03 -0500
As Ken knows, I have 'a dog in this fight' so I have to respond.

> the pressure to keep upping the noise, or the art moving to be more
> outrageous and transgressive expressions (a love story is not enough, it
> needs to be 'erotic') in order to attract attention.

Since Rae's memoir has been branded 'Erotica' by her publishers, a mistake,
IMHO,if on no other level than it limits the marketing effort, this issue is
close to my heart (& other parts).
So the erotic = noise. Well if you look throughout history, art & other
venues, the erotic has been an integral aspect of peoples expression. And
celebrated I might add. Except in the good ole USA. This country has had an
extreme aversion to any expression of the sexual, so much so that for a long
time the expression of the sexual was criminalized.
Maybe in this society the erotic = noise but mores the pity.
--
Jim Hicks
Quality Restoration Works, LLC