BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Ilene R. Tyler" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Jul 2009 14:07:23 -0400
I found the right guys, as well as a link to the Stonecarvers Guild. This may not be what my friend wants, unless these guys do gravestones, too. I guess, why not, if there's money in it and it's still stone. I liked the FAQ:

What is the difference between a carver and a sculptor?
A sculptor assigns shape to an idea.
A carver imposes a shape on stone, and must be able to do so reliably and in a manner that can be duplicated.

Gravestones would definitely be in that category of carving reliably and in a manner that can be duplicated. Perhaps it's up to the individual to decide in which category he or she falls.

George Kreier was the best I knew who created custom cast stone, or concrete. He reproduced all of the figures in the (Nashville) Parthenon's pediments - the wonderfully proportioned, over-sized human figures, horses, and implements. As architect for the project, we designed the armature and mating of old to new pieces, with assistance from our engineer, Mark Dunning, and input from the rest of the construction team. Much of the design decisions were made in the field, though, in response to specific conditions. Unfortunately, George passed a way a few years ago, a terrible loss to the field. Perhaps I can put you in touch with Mark for technical advice beyond the architect's ken...?

Ilene R. Tyler, FAIA, FAPT, LEED AP
QUINN EVANS | ARCHITECTS
219 1/2 N. Main Street
Ann Arbor, MI  48104
ph: 734 663-5888
fx: 734 663-5044

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 10 Jul 2009 22:23:05 EDT
From:    [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: gravestone carvers

--part1_c2d.602c54de.37895189_boundary

In a message dated 7/10/2009 2:00:34 AM Central Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Does anyone know about actual gravestone carvers, or any research about
> >>them, locally or nationally? I have a friend in Michigan who inquired,
> >>and I thought B-P might be a resource worth asking. Thanks...

Contact/google  Archaic stone Austin Texas
mention my name and they will hang up ....Joe Kincannon  Holly Kincannon
formerly cathedral St John the Divine   there is a large carvers gathering in
New Mexico this sumer ; I also Have good contacts in Ohio and California
and Switzerland but I am on the road for a week  Py

Ps I am making my own cast stone and I am looking for technical advise on
armatures  signed py in sky