BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Bowman, Camille (DHR)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Jul 2009 11:18:50 -0400
Ilene: No, I don't know too much, but there should be a lot out there
that would be easy to compile. I say that because more and more states
are surveying and inventorying cemeteries. Part of that survey process
should be to record "makers marks" -- the signature of the maker that
occurs on many markers (at least 19th century forward). There are
recurring companies in Baltimore, Philadelphia, etc. that produced
markers and shipped them to local dealers and they proudly display their
names/towns in the bottom corner. So, I have to deduce that a digital
compilation would be possible -- at least a compilation of companies
with carvers at work. I know that Alabama's SHPO has a good cemetery
registration program and makers' marks are a part of the record (I was
there, set up the program and harped on the importance of the
makers/trades that made these.)

I'll add that Sylacauga, Alabama has an interesting story worth
pursuing. It's the home of Sylacauga Marble, a very common, very
popular, very soft marble that was early and easy to carve. Therefore,
many markers were cut from Sylacauga quarries and shipped all over the
country. Interestingly, many Italian carvers moved to the area to work
and to ply their trade. As a result, the local cemetery has A LOT of
beautifully carved marble markers -- with many Italian names associated.

Center for Gravestone Studies can probably answer your question. But as
with a lot of historic preservation issues, folks havent thought to
consider the tradespeople that produced the works of art...nor the ones
that are able to restore them. Hopefully this is changing, thanx to PTN!

Camille Agricola Bowman
Easement Technical Advisor
Tidewater Region Preservation Office
Department of Historic Resources