BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Larry Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Mar 2009 10:51:03 -0400
I have to confess that I forgot about it, but I am an avid off-switcher. Mountain top mining is a marginal business that is propped up by negligent legislators. It would not be profitable if the attempted to do even a slightly reasonable job of restoration. If everyone tried to keep only necessary lights on and unplug unnecessary equipment and wall warts that draw energy when not in use, we might bring down energy prices enough to make it unprofitable.

Unfortunately, conservation interferes with the gross national product, and at start up times solar and other alternatives depend on high priced energy so that they can compete while building an infrastructure.

Electric cares are more competitive when oil is high. Electric cars will also drive up energy prices and make coal more profitable, if there is not some kind of cap and trade.

Alternatives will cost a lot of money which most of us can't afford, and the ones who can, don't want to part with. One of the reasons besides cheap labor, that our stuff is coming from China is because don't want to face the price of the environment and we don't care if they screw theirs up.

The internet is the other big energy user. Google has plans to build their own hydro dam and already uses solar roof tops.

The last big user of unnecessary energy is the Military. If Obama wants to save energy, closing down unnecessary bases and stopping unnecessary use of vehicles, ships and planes. Why would the Saudis want us to end the war when they make so much money off of it.

Larry

--

*Please vote for ICORS every 24 hours* <http://www.lsoft.com/news/choicevote.asp>