From:
Ron Canazzi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Jan 2009 09:55:38 -0500
Hi Bill,

I have used Nero 6, 7 and 8 and it works well if you realize what is
happening and just what to use within the suite of programs.

Although it can be done, I would not recommend trying to launch any of
Nero's utilities with the Nero Start Smart Icon or by using Nero Express.  I
would go to the start menu then to programs, then to the Nero menu item, and
choose Nero Burning ROM.  Wait a few seconds and you get a splash screen
that gives you a bunch of options.  By default if you haven't changed
anything, this splash screen places you on the multi-session tab and in a
combo box that gives you the choice of DVD or CD.  Make the appropriate
choice by using your arrow keys and then look at a bunch of other options
under the ISO tab.  Tab to the list of tabs and use your arrow keys to
select the ISO tab.  Then use the tab key to move to a list (6 for DVD and
12 for CD) items.  By default, in both CD and DVD burning, the choice is ISO
which is a fancy way of saying Data type.  This is the type of disc you
would make for storing documents, program installers and compressed music
such as MP3 files.  If you use your arrow keys you will see choices like
Audio CD, Bootable Disc, Copy Disc, mixed mode ETC.  For CD's you wish to
play in standard CD-ROM players, you would choose Audio CD.  (Why anybody
needs this any more with all the mp3 players and discless Ippod type players
is any body's guess, but just in case you do...)

The first time you use the program, you might want to check out some of the
other items under the ISO tab.  While for most other of the settings, the
defaults work just fine, I usually check all the boxes that talk about file
name and folder length names and the amount of permissible character
lengths.  Modern burners can handle all of these longer names so I maximize
the length of all my file and folder names.  Otherwise every time you burn a
document or track with an unusually long file name, you will be prompted to
truncate the file name.

In any case, after you have configured this splash screen, use your tab key
to find the New button and press the space bar.  This will launch a standard
duel window involving a layout for your soon to be created CD/DVD disc and
the files on your system.  By default, you land on a tree view for the
layout in a name field.  By default, there is something like New
Compilation.  To better identify your new disc, you should rename this to
something recognizable.  To do this is pretty standard--just as in Windows
Explorer.  Press the F2 key and then type in a new name and press enter.

Now you must tell the burner which files you want to burn to Disc.  Pressing
the Tab key once from the tree view layout name field brings you to the
layout list view--which at this point should say zero items.  Tab once more
to the tree view of your computer system.  Here's where it gets a bit tricky
if you are not used to working with tree views.  The movement to the files
and folders you wish to select is most easily done using a screen reader by
using the tree view.  By default, you will probably be placed either on the
tree view for your desktop or your local install disc (usually the C drive.)
Press the right arrow key to open branches on this drive (meaning folder.)
then arrow down to the folder wherein you are storing the items you wish to
burn to the disc.  When you reach this folder, press the tab key once to
move to the list view of your selected folder.  Yu can either manually move
to and select item by item, or if you are smart, you will have previously
moved all the items you wish to burn to CD to a single folder and you can
press control + A to select them all.  After selecting various items, press
the keystroke control + keyboard 1 to place the items paths into the layout.
If under the view menu, you have selected to show the status bar, pressing
the screen reader keystroke for reading the status bar (JAWS = insert + page
down) you will see the size of materials you have pasted to the layout.
(Be careful not to create too big a layout: CD-ROM = 700 MB maximum; DVD-ROM
= 4483 single density.)  Repeat the above procedure until you have completed
your layout and then you are ready to do the burn.

To launch the burn screen, press control + B.  This will open up a set-up
screen which you can customize for the burn.  Most of these choices are good
to go with the defaults, but you may want to change a few things to your
taste.  You may want to make more than 1 copy, or change the speed (If you
are burning a standard old fashion audio CD, I find it works in stand alone
players better to use the slowest burn speed.  This doesn't seem to make any
difference if you are making data discs, so you can use the maximum.)

After you have made these choices, initiate the actual burn by pressing alt
+ B or by tabbing to the burn button and pressing space bar.  while the burn
process is actually under way, you may want to check the box that says
verify the written data.  This will double the time it takes to actually
complete the burn, but if you are having any trouble with your drive or
system, this will tell you if you have a good disc or not by the end of the
process.  If you are confident you are having no problems, then leave this
box unchecked.

Eventually, the process will complete and a funny bugle noise (unless this
is disabled by default) should sound and indicate that the process completed
successfully.  If it doesn't and sounds are enabled, then a loud
disappointed Boo will be heard.  You can then read the output of the failure
to see what might have happened.

One more thing, if you are using JAWS later versions, (9 and 10) you might
(as I have been) have some difficulty if you leave focus of your screen
reader in the Nero main window during the burn.  I have had some bad discs
created when doing this and I am not quite sure why--except that I have seen
memory spikes during this process when JAWS is constantly reporting items
being displayed in the Nero main window.  so either shift focus to the
desktop or unload JAWS until you hear the noise for completion.  Then reload
JAWS to see the results.  I am not sure about Window-Eyes or any other
screen reader and in fact, I never had this problem prior to JAWS 9.0 second
update.

I hope this helps and if you need any more help, write me off-list.