Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 May 2009 19:39:22 -0600
5W of rf output should mean that the radio shouldn't require any more then
5W to operate, at the minimum.
So, a 13.8V power supply at 1 amp is going to give you the minimum of 13.8
W.
theoretically you should be able to get 5 watts out of the transistor with
no more then a 500 milli amp power supply at 13.8VDC.
However, you must take into consideration the CPU in the radio, the lighted
display and any other components that require powering while you are
transmitting.
So, those things taken into consideration, you need at least another amp
likely to be on the safe side.
and, you don't want to be running a power supply at 100 per cent duty all
the time, or at least, not most power supplies of that size, because most
new ones will start pulling things back as they heat up.
So, i would say a 2.5 to 3 amp power supply will work just great.
also, I believe the f 6A is likely rated for something closer to 8VDC, at
least on battery power, so you could probably use a 3 amp 9VDC power supply
instead of a full 13.8V one.
This would mean you could likely find a really heavy duty wall wart and use
that.  Although, wall warts are seldom filtered and you will need a filtered
supply to eliminate any hum.
10amp 13.8V power supplies are a dime a dozen in most places, and you can't
hurt the radio by hooking it to a power supply with more current then you
need.
anything filtered from 9 to 13.8Vdc and with a minimum amperage rating of
2.5 amps will work for you.
batteries america might even sell a battery saver unit that you can use to
transmit on the radio.
73
Colin, V A6BKX