BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gabriel Orgrease <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Jul 2009 06:08:23 -0400
Yes, hydraulic cement sets fast.

My previous business partner was always taking on weird jobs -- or at
least, jobs that I thought were weird. There was a skyscraper Tishman
was putting up in Manhattan. As I remember it was in the 40s. It had a
sump pit, maybe 50' below grade, that had electrical conduits that were
taking on water. Water was actively gushing between the conduit and the
concrete of the hole that the conduit passed through. While they
dewatered the pit it turned into my job to plug the active water flow. I
would mix up balls of hydraulic cement in my hands mixed w/ the
aforementioned Xypex than throw them into the hole then put my had over
it to keep the mix in place. Eventually we did get it to stop. It was
nuts, it was dirty, it was frantic. We had absolutely no business being
there. That is how one becomes semi-expert in crap that they wish they
had never ever heard of.

Then there was the time that the son-of-partner ordered hydraulic cement
for the sidewalk mason to make repairs with. Boy, was Seamus surprised.
You fill up a mixer with that stuff you might as well throw the mixer away.

][<