BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gabriel Orgrease <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Feb 2010 17:13:47 -0500
> Saturated doesn't begin to scratch the surface.

Dan,

Well, I certainly appreciate Rypkema's dilemma. Thanks for that link, by
the way.

Saturated may not scratch the surface but I don't have time or energy to
dig deeper holes. A book I have been reading that talks about the
evolutionary context of 'art' (and histo presto as a social valuation
has a lot to do with art) expressed that humans are wired to ignore what
they see too much of and therefore tend to focus attention on the
anomalies that occur within their personal field of perception -- thus
the pressure to keep upping the noise, or the art moving to be more
outrageous and transgressive expressions (a love story is not enough, it
needs to be 'erotic') in order to attract attention. We can drown in
media exposure but at the same time the human creature may only absorb
and pay attention to a small portion of the noise.

As to Web 2.0 I notice some folks on Facebook feel like the
advertisements are right in their face. I rarely if ever see them at
all. I am looking for substantive connections with people. Yet at the
same time people often feel hollow and empty about their online social
interactions. It is an odd conundrum as internet social media won't work
if folks feel that they are too much disconnected from each other, yet
at the same time the hosts need to monetize the environment, or at least
maintain the illusion of a promise of an economy, in order to keep it alive.

][<en