From:
Dean Kiley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Feb 2010 18:23:59 -0600
I have XP Med Ctr 2005 on both a laptop and the other partition on this
machine, and am using W7 Pro right now.
In essence XPMC2005 is XP Pro... at least that is the way Belarc Advisor
reports it, along with other scanning tools. It has many more networking
options, and I'm sure some that I haven't discovered or had a need to
discover. The media center part of it is, for lack of words, bloated. I use
the laptop as a source for a DJ rig, thinking that eventually all that extra
stuff would come in handy... but not! Fortunately the machine came with it
preinstalled so no loss.
W7 Pro is like a whole different animal in that it is built on a Vista
platform, and uses lots more graphic resources. I haven't played around with
any other version of 7 other than the RC which was only a trial and will
begin to act up next month. I did speak to a M$ representative, and to the
best of their knowledge, support for XP will continue through 2014 if I
remember that conversation correctly but please don't quote me on this...
I'm old!
Now the breakdown IMHO:
W95... junk
W98... a little better than junk
WME... complete disaster
XP... OK
Vista... better than all the above (when you get used to it)
W7... someone at M$ is getting the message but a graphics hog
All the different versions (home, pro, etc.) but they have taken what seems
to be the best of XP and Vista, dropped them into a food processor, waved a
wand over it and presto... yet another new OS! At least I liked W7 well
enough to get it right away and not wait till they address the inevitable
infestation of bugs they all seemed to have.
I'll quit here. The choice is yours at the end of the day, but this I will
say. I'm glad I didn't wait. They are starting to get it at least somewhat
right. Now they really need to address viruses without costing us a small
fortune!
Good luck,
Dean