From:
Peter Shkabara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Feb 2010 21:36:20 -0800
I recently made the switch to 64-bit Windows 7. As others have mentioned,
you may run into trouble finding drivers for older hardware, such as
scanners. In my case, I ended up purchasing a new scanner because my old one
was not supported.

Although there are not yet a lot of programs that are 64-bit, I expect this
to change as most new computers released today come with 64-bit Windows 7. I
found that the 64-bit version of Windows 7 seems to have fewer operating
issues than the 32-bit I was running for about a year (started with beta).
With my new hardware, an i5 750 with 4GB of RAM, the 64-bit OS seems to run
faster. Most 32-bit programs will run fine, but old 16-bit software will not
run at all. As others have mentioned an XP compatibility mode, but that
requires that your CPU includes VIRTUALIZATION TECHNOLOGY, and that you run
Windows 7 Professional. The Home edition of W7 does not support the XP mode
operation. Although the XP mode allows running of older software almost
seamlessly under Windows 7, there is a substantial delay when starting up
the XP mode. On my computer it takes about 12 seconds for the XP mode to
start up. Once started, however, programs that are part of the XP mode will
start quickly. Of course I am nitpicking here, since my old system took 10
to 12 seconds to start most applications in the first place! Now my new
system starts most programs in one second or less! I am running an SSD
however.

Since you are buying a new computer, there should be no problems in running
64-bit Windows 7. I would recommend that you upgrade to Windows 7
Professional, if the computer has the Home version by default. It should be
worth the upgrade.

Hope this helps.

Peter