AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Susan Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
EASI's Library Accessibility Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Apr 2004 12:20:17 +1000
Dear Rob,
This seems to be an issue the whole world over. Our library, as with
all university libraries in Australia, is public domain although we do
not get many visitors unless they are from another university. The local
community is quite well served by the local public library but
occasionally we get a visit.

We have accessible equipment but it is only available to students who
have registered with the university as having a disability. Some of the
software is pretty fragile so we like to be sure the users have a fair
idea of what they are doing.

After some thought and discussion, we decided that we could not be
responsible for training students in using the equipment. Disability
services organises that and there is funding available. We can still
spend some time with them and get them settled. The equipment is in a
fairly remote part of the library and we just don't have the staff
available to sit around there for hours.

All staff have been trained in rudimentary use of the equipment but
when you look at this realistically, they are not going to remember how
to use complex equipment and programs unless they use them constantly.
In my opinion, the most important thing is that they know it exists and
know who to refer people to.

Cheers
Susan

The students with highest needs generally have a notetaker or aid with
them while they are on campus and we have developed a good rapport with
them. It is much better now.
When our campus first opened, our first blind student had a pretty
tough time. He didn't have the same level of support that they get now
and I feel very sorry for him. His guide dog was also inexperienced
(Murray i think his name was) and regularly wrapped poor Milos around
signs, furniture etc.

Susan Roberts
Reference Librarian
Swinburne University of Technology
Lilydale Campus
Ph: 92157009

>>> [log in to unmask] 7/04/2004 7:30:50 am >>>
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with community members
using a university library's accessible equipment?  Our university's
Disabled Students Services (DSS) is creating a center in the library
with a number of accessible workstations.  DSS trains our students
with
disabilities to use the equipment, but our library is also open to the
general public and DSS is not responsible for those users.  DSS is
also
not located in our library and not open the same amount of hours as
the
library, so it's kind of difficult to get someone from there to help
out.  I am the library's liaison to DSS and I have some limited
training
in using the equipment but I have nowhere near the kind of experience
necessary to help out someone who has never used the equipment before.
Does anybody have any suggestions?  Thanks.

Rob Sage
Reference/Instruction Librarian
Pollak Library 106
California State University, Fullerton
(714) 278-4057

Check out EASI New Synchronous Clinics:
http://easi.cc/clinic.htm
EASI Home Page http://www.rit.edu/~easi
Online courses  and Clinics http://easi.cc/workshop.htm
Check the EASI Library Web http://www.rit.edu/~easi/lib.htm

>>> Error in line 8 of AXSLIB-L.MAILTPL: unknown formatting command <<<