From:
Louis Kim Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Mar 2009 17:55:46 -0400
Hi Richard.

If you can sit down with someone who is already familiar with the front
panel layout, that helps a great deal.  Fortunately, one of the guys in one
of the radio clubs that I belong to was kind enough to sit with me the day
that I bought the radio and went over it with me, and it helped immensely.

The hardest part about it is just keeping the sheer number of buttons
straight--it isn't nearly as menu intensive as the Icom 706 was, and that
makes the radio considerably more friendly.  I would suggest that if you
buy one, that you also buy a serial cable with a DB9 female connector
(straight thru not null modem) and download the MCP2000 software.  It makes
programming the memories immensly easier, and makes it much easier to
customize the radio through the menu settings.  The software works well
with JAWS and should work well with Window-Eyes as well.  I found my serial
cable at Radio Shack.

I just loaded all of the local 6 meter, 2 meter, and 70 cm repeaters into
memories with all of the offsets and PL tones, which makes VHF/UHF
operation from the radio a snap.

Best of all, once I had the inital run through of the panel layout, and my
friend Rick installed the VS3 voice synthesizer, I didn't need any other
sighted assistance to set up or operate the radio, which was very nice.

If you live in the city, you'll like the strong signal performance of the
VHF/UHF receivers.  Signals that crushed the front-end on my Icom 706, or
my old Kenwood TW4000A are taken in stride by the TS2000S, even on my Comet
GP15 which is sitting 12 feet above the ridge pole of my house.

73, de Lou K2LKK

At 01:38 PM 3/19/2009 -0400, you wrote:
>     Hi Gary;
>I don't own a ts2000 but I'm considering the situation after the recent =
>price drop.  I have  heard a number of comments concerning the =
>difficulty of the radio and the steep learning curve.  Were the basics =
>at least fairly straight forward or was it as much of a struggle as has =
>been suggested elsewhere?
>Richard
>   ----- Original Message -----=20

Louis Kim Kline