From:
Eric Clegg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Feb 2009 12:18:02 -0800
Hi listers,
I just want to let everyone know that I finally bit the bullet and have purchased a new HF rig.

Here is what I ordered from Universal Radio after considering various brands and configuration options

Thanks to everyone on the list for their helpful recommendations.

Kenwood TS-480SAT
160-6 meters 100W

High stability temperature compensated crystal oscillator. Includes an
alignment tool
 Requires soldering.
VGS1
Vocal confirmation of frequency. Record/playback of received or transmitted signals.
SP-23
All metal base speaker for improved fidelity and clarity.
YF-107C
500 Hz CW Filter
YF-107CN
270 Hz CW Filter
Samlex SEC-1235M
13.8 VDC
30 Amps
35 Amps
50 mV P-P
8.4 x 2.5 x 7.3
3.4

I'm looking forward to operating mostly QRP from my apartment. For now I'm considering either the Miracle Whip antenna or one of the MFJ apartment antennas or one of their magnetic loop antennas.

I'm looking forward to getting back on the air with CW. Yes I know I will be really rusty, not having sent code for years. But I know with practice it will come back to me.

I am a California state employee and with the twice per month furloughs and the general poor state of the economy, I was seriously thinking of not purchasing any sort of equipment at all.

After all, a fully loaded Kenwood rig plus accessories is over the price of one month's rentfor me.

But I figured the Kenwood discount coupon went until March 31, 2009. Also the last rig I owned for HF was a Kenwood TS570D that I bought in the late 1990s.

I figured it was time for an upgrade.

I'm looking forward to getting back on the air.

I will probably have questions concerning the rig that I'll jump in and ask. For now HF will be brand new to me again!

Thanks once again for all the help and encouragement.

Best 73's,

Eric
KU3I