From:
Bill Deatherage <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Dec 2008 18:02:44 -0500
Hello,
That brought back memories.  I first learned about short wave radio from a
student at The Kentucky School for the Blind.  I was there in the late
1960's and early 1970's.  After talking to my parents about it my mother
bought me one of those radios that had a m and f m and short wave on it.
That is where I first heard about ham radio.  They had some classes for
Novice license when I was living in louisville that was for KSB students and
people who lived there could participate in the class.  I went to a few
classes but never stuck with it.  What sparked my interest at that time the
director of the Rehab center where i was a student who's name is Fred
Gissoni talked to me about amateur radio and the licenses and what you had
to do to get your license.  He is blind and is a general class opperator.
well, later in my life i got a radio with the same bands but this radio had
local police and air frequency bands on it.  part of this covered the 146
meg band so I started listening to hams on 2 meters.  and I finally studied
long enough to get my technission class license.  At that time the only
difference between technission and general was the code so I finally got my
code spead up to 13 words a minut and now I am a general.
but like you it all started with listening to short wave.
Bill Deatherage