From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Nov 2008 14:38:00 -0700
john:
were you offended that someone might have been offended at what you said?
Isn't this a double negative and totally illogical?
Becoming offended at someone because something you said may have offended
them makes no apparent sence to me?
and just because one person responded to something you said and let you know
they weren't appreciative, then you merely have to respond with your
intended meaning so that any offence taken will be molified.

This is Basic verbal communication, I think most north americans learn this
in grade 10 or 11 in high school.
your not offensive and I don't think you need to get your hackles up just
because people call you on your statements.  I make generalizations and
opinionated statements all the time and because I do that, I expect there
will be a certain percentage of people who will call me on it, or who are
just as opinionated in an opposite direction and will say something.
It's all about communicating your intent and keeping consistency in your
ideas and opinions...which, you do very well.
If someone calls you on a statement, or dislikes your opinion and verbalizes
that, then that's perfectly ok.  I would think you are one to be open minded
enough to feel that everyone has a right to their say on any matter without
fear of negative fallout.  As long as you feel that way, then it doesn't
really matter if someone else chooses to be negative about something you've
said.
A show of self assurance, self confidence and good personal security goes a
long way in people respecting things you say even though they may not
precisely like what it is you are saying.

sorry if this sounds like a lecture, it is, but this is how flame wars get
started and this list is the only one I'm on that has escaped that inherent
email list problem.

I also don't much mind if people dislike what I have to say, they'll either
let me know, or not, it really makes no difference in my outlook on life.
73
Colin, V A6BKX