From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Nov 2008 17:49:45 -0700
there was a time when elmering was an integral part of the hobby.
 If a new ham was rude, or had bad operating procedure, you took them aside
in person or on the air and told them the error of their ways and what was
expected of them by the general ham populus.
This was usually done in a gentlemanly fashion so that the person wouldn't
be scared off or offended at the correction.
That is the way to handle new hams or those who seem rude or disrespectful
of good operating procedures.
Ignoring them or correcting them harshly on the air is not a good elmering
method and certainly won't cause them to change their idea or way of
operating.
We are self policing, and if we don't self police, then of course things are
going to get somewhat kaotic.
I think allot of guys forget we are self policing and expect that either
someone else is going to fix the issue, or that the issue should just go
away and leave the experienced guys alone.  I think some of those
experienced guys have forgotten what it was like to be a new ham on the air.
I haven't forgotten and I always take the extra couple minutes to talk to
new ones and if there are any protocall issues then I let them know what is
generally expected bassed on local operating methods on different bands.
It isn't hard and what the hell, at least i'm on the radio talking about
radio to someone right?
73
Colin, V A6BKX