From:
Steve Dresser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Nov 2008 09:49:46 -0500
Lou,

Let me add one more reason to your list:  Radio is so much a part of the
landscape today that it just doesn't hold the fascination for younger people
that it does for those of us who grew up in the fifties, sixties, and
seventies.  I wonder how many young people who are tightly connected to
their cell phones even realize that they're actually talking on a radio.
Sadly for the hobby, I don't think there's much we can do about this
phenomenon, so we'd better support and embrace technologies like Echolink
and IRLP.  If we don't, ham radio will go the way of the Stanley steamer.

Steve

Steve