From:
Louis Kim Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Oct 2008 23:51:12 -0400
Hi John.

While I don't personally have much interest in Echo Link, and usually
ignore the posts on the subject, I find that there are some positive
aspects to it.  We have something in our area called "the Newbie Net" that
meets on Sunday evenings at around 9:15 pm.  the purpose of the net is to
create a forum where new operators can ask questions, and hear
presentations on various topics--a sort of on the air general purpose
training format.  The idea has started to catch on in several other areas
and people from the Albany and Cleveland areas are coming into our net
through Echo Link.

I frankly see nothing wrong with that.  In fact, it seems pretty
beneficial.  I find that purists often object to the very changes that can
enhance and evolve amateur radio, and in this case where it is increasing
activity on a repeater that would otherwise be dead on a Sunday night, I
find it hard to see how that can be bad.

There is all kinds of empty space on ham radio these days.  Echo Link is
just another facet of ham radio, and I think there is enough room for it
along with everything else that amateur radio has to offer.

73, de Lou K2LKK

At 10:50 AM 10/28/2008 -0400, you wrote:
>As I see it, it's not radio, it's anti radio, and is absolutely murdering
>ham radio. I'll either be actually on the air, or doing something else but I
>didn't work so hard to get my license to use the computer to make my
>contacts for me because I'm too lazy to setup a station and work for the
>contacts. I had a simplex link up for a while but it was a couple statements
>I heard on it that made me wake up and realize just how bad echolink is
>hurting things and it was then that I pulled it down for good. I suppose if
>a sponsoring group wants it on 1 of my repeaters, I may consider it but I
>won't be using it and probably won't put it on at all.

Louis Kim Kline
A.R.S. K2LKK
Home e-mail:  [log in to unmask]
Work e-mail:  [log in to unmask]