From:
Ken O'Neill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jan 2010 12:13:07 -0600
Ken:
Your point is well taken. Thank you.

I've not thought of myself as a modernist: most of my work has been
syncretic and eclectic pursuant to chunking up to more encompassing
perspectives usually called "emerging new paradigms." Perhaps that's
post-modern in the sense that the science of modernity is reductionistic
materialism.

Paleo itself is an artificial construct since we're reconstructing through a
diversified archaeological and cross-cultural anthropological inquiry
incorporating myriad local inflections of extant native peoples.

My interests were first sparked around 1954 by Jack La Lanne, one of the
benefits of growing up in the SF Bay Area. Then came Roger Williams'
Biochemical Individuality read while in high school. The combined forces of
athleticism and scholarship took me in directions peers regarded as weird!
In the course of my life, new research in longevity, fitness, nutrition,
biochemistry - and a whole lot more - have tempered my outlook. Discovery of
Cordain's work was rather astonishing, although I'll admit to proceeding
with a margin of skepticism - casein having been a case in point.

Much of my work today concerns health care. The majority of disease folks
suffer from these days stem from chronic degenerative conditions, not
infection as in the early 20th century. Some of my work is in a cutting edge
medical clinic that advocates Cordain's Paleo Diet, but also makes use of
nutritional therapies for a broad range of health issues rather than
reliance of pharmaceuticals. A governing belief I share with that physician
is that we innately possess resources for healing and health.

What I've added to the contemporary discourse is that certain select forms
of physical training are as much a part of our genetic blue print as is
Paleo oriented nutrition. In combination, the health benefits are fantastic.
Knowing that, I've thrown my hat in the ring as one minor player regarding a
revolution in health care, one shifting responsibility to individuals
through education to become self-governing rather than detrimentally reliant
on the medical machine. Occupied Washington with its deep ties to Big Pharm,
the food processing industry, etc., remains a fundamental obstacle to
ensuring the well being of the American people.

It seems to me that examining a middle ground between modern ( O'Neill's
input) and paleo (fundamentalism) is useful to the discussion. For example,
"change" can mean altering the more damaging aspects of change while
accepting slow change. Evolution seems to work that way.

Stay strong,

Ken O'Neill