BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Leeke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Nov 2008 16:05:05 -0400
"...see and talk with each other..."
"...We will include a session on dumpster diving..."

Session Proposal
Title: Wind Out, Cash In

For the past 30 years I have been picking up old wooden window sash at
the dump. They're worth bringing home because most are in darn good
condition and it would cost at least $400 to have sash made to match the
thick glass and good quality of that old-growth pine they are made of.
These sash are ripped out of fine old homes by the vinyl window pirates
who are paid $300 per window by the homeowners to replace them with ones
made of plastic worth about $60. I guess some folks just like to spend
money no matter what. Anyway, I get these old sash back to my shop, fix
them up, and some other homeowners pay me $600 per window to put them
back into fine old homes. Now, I'm no business expert, but I do know
that at the end of the year I've bought enough groceries to keep my
family going and have a little extra in the bank. I can't get all these
numbers and facts into my brain at once, so please help me get in touch
with an economist who could explain how this is possible. If I could
understand it all in one big idea I think I could get enough ahead to go
back to school, study economics, and get rich quick. In the mean time
I'm taking care of my own old windows here at home. After a whole
century they're still doing a good job of keeping the wind out and the
cash in.

John $ Leeke

by hammer and hand great works do stand
by pen and thought best words are wrought
www.HistoricHomeWorks.com