From:
Buddy Brannan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Dec 2008 18:04:17 -0500
On Dec 29, 2008, at 5:29 PM, Lou Kolb Gmail POP account wrote:

> Any suggestions on a good replacement antenna for the one that comes
> with
> the Kenwood Th-f6a?

As a matter of fact, yes. I bought one of these and it's great:

http://www.smileyantenna.com/product_info.php?products_id=55

Telescopic antenna. Think it's 1/4 wave on 440 collapsed, pull up two
sections and it's a 5/8 wave on 440, put up all but two and it's a 5/8
wave on 220. Or maybe it's all but three up, I can't recall. 1/4 wave
on 2 meters fully extended.

Now before people spaz about a telescoping antenna on an HT with an
SMA connector, let me put your fears at bay. Collapsed, this antenna
is all of six inches long, and some of this is taken up with a nice
spring at the bottom that takes some of the impact and flexing and so
forth so all the weight isn't right on the connector. Because of this
spring, you're also not going to have the problems associated with a
solid antenna on your belt. It really is the best of both worlds, IMO,
and the price is right at only around $20.

For perspective, I replaced an extended "flexible" antenna with one of
these. Think it was the Maldal one. Anyway, the SMA on it was just
bare, no seal, no nothing, and I managed to break two SMA connectors
on the HT with this antenna. I don't feel at all uncomfortable with
the Smiley antenna though. It's got a sealed connector and, as I said,
the connector doesn't have a lot of weight sitting right on it.
--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Phone: (814) 746-4127 or 888-75-BUDDY