From:
Butch Bussen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Dec 2008 21:20:20 -0800
Well, this isn't exactly a ham radio experience, but it does involve
electronics.  First, a little background might be in order.  I had just
gotten married and my wife had two kids, a daughter 7 and a boy ten.  The
daughter and I hit it off right from the start and we're still close
today.  Anyhow, the county I lived in only had a population of about 2000
people, and I had lived there all of my life, so everyone knew me and
certainly should have known my capabilities.  But, you know most sighted
people think we're incredibly stupid and helpless.

The movie theater was in a town about ten miles away, and an aunt and
uncle came by and picked us all up to go to a movie.  The movie didn't
start, and after a long wait, I asked what the problem was.  They said
they couldn't get the sound to work so they were going to cancel the show.
I said I'd be glad to take a look, but was told there wasn't any need as
they already had 3 or 4 people take a look at the amp, including the guy
who use to run the theater.  I was told, "if they couldn't fix the
problem, there is no way you can."  My daughter said, "my dad will fix it,
just wait and see.  They reluctantly took me up to the balcony where the
projector and amp was.  Now, this was an old tube amp, which I knew as I'd
been up there before.  I don't recall the number, but most of these tubes
were the old 8 pin jobs with a grid cap on top.  I started touching grid
caps and when I found one that didn't make a hum in the speaker, I said,
"give me this one."  The guy said, "it isn't a tube, we checked all of
them in a tube tester."  I insisted, and as soon as I plugged in the new
tube, we had sound.  The guy never said a word.  When we walked back down
stairs, my daughter said, "See, I told you my dad could fix it!"  One of
those moments fun to remember.

They had already sent everyone else home, there were just the six of us.
The guy asked if we wanted to see the movie, and I said we certainly did,
so they ran the show.