From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Nov 2008 14:20:29 -0700
Tom,

Learning the HTML coding is a lot more trouble than it is worth.  There are
programs to do the coding for you automatically.  However, unless you go to
a server that sells you an account that allows you a web control panel where
it does everything for you and you just fill in the blanks, you will first
need both a domain name, which is the www address, and those run anywhere
from 10 to 30 dollars a year, mine runs 10.95 per year and I own three
active domain names, and you'll need a server where the html files are
stored.  When that happens, a universal hidden address is assigned to your
server provider where the html files are stored for your website and then,
when anyone types in your URL, or website address, they are routed directly
to your site.  So your domain name is unique to you and you alone worldwide.
Now, of course, there are many dot addresses to pick from such but when I
started many years ago, I only could pick from dot com, dot org, or dot net.
You've likely heard that now they are going to just words for domain names,
without a dot com for example, and just the word, or website name, will take
person to their site.  A website provider, where you files in html are
stored, will run you any where from 5 dollars a month on up.  I pay about 30
dollars a month but many servers offer 5 and 10 dollar a month storage
service with maybe 50 to 100 megabytes and that is a ton of storage space.
I use 300 megs of storage and only use a fraction of it because nearly all I
have are text files and text takes up very little space on a server's hard
drive.  Graphics, lots of graphics, and big graphics, as well as audio
files, take up many megabytes of storage but now a days, you can buy
gigabytes of storage space.  There are many places selling domain names.  I
use buydomains.com but most internet web providers have special offers and
can register a domain name for less money.  Many providers of storage space
also are website designers and charge flat rates to build a website to your
specifications.  It all depends upon how much money one wishes to spend.  I
think my provider.

www.liquidneon.com

who I have used for years, has many of these services but he is one of
thousands and thousands of providers all over the world.  You can even use
offshore providers.  Many of those are used, for example, by people who want
to spam or do business in, shall we say, less than an honest manner.  If you
did a google search for web providers, you'd find millions of hits.  The
best way is going with your own provider you are using now, call and ask
about their web services, or with one a friend has used for awhile.  Then,
too, I use an FTP client piece of software called Cute FTP to transfer my
html files from my hard drive to my web provider.  I used to do it all in
FTP, that is in UNIX, by hand but now there is even windows based software
for all that work.  So the field is wide open for whatever you want to spend
and how involved you want to get.

Phil.
K0NX