From:
John Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Oct 2008 08:58:58 -0400
The TS-570 is more accessible, the 706 is good for go kit or backup, but I'd
sure hate to have to use it every day which is why I keep my 570 around
though I have the TS-2000. Too many functions on too few buttons, in the NTS
nets and stuff I get in to daily, I can't stop to think about which button
does what because some idiot wants to tune up on top of us and I have to
turn on the notch filter. I know the radio enough to do stuff like that but
really, if I had to use that daily because my main radio was in the shop or
something, I don't think my patience would last long. I'd even rather run my
TS-830 regularly over that one though I don't have much problem with it on
vacations and stuff so maybe it wouldn't drive me that crazy. Anyway, all
that talks on the 706 is the S meter, mode and frequency. The rest you do
with beeps mostly and in the menus, you change settings with the tuning dial
so you have to really guess there until you learn how far to turn for the
next setting. Luckily for me, I run the HF power almost wide open on that
radio and the mic gain has to be all the way on the 706 and most icoms so
wide open is easy because the settings don't rap around, once you get to the
highest or lowest setting, it stays there until you turn the knob the other
way.