From:
Louis Kim Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Sep 2008 22:49:47 -0400
Hi Richard.

Any of the LDG tuners that can be connected through a Kenwood interface to
the TS850 should work.  When this interface is plugged into the connector
for the remote auto tuner on the back of the TS850, the LDG tuner will take
preference over any internal tuner when you press the TUNE button.  That is
how it works on my TS690S, and I am certain that the TS850S works the exact
same way as these radios were introduced at the same time and take the same
Kenwood accessories.  In the case of my TS690S, it was a no brainer--just
plug it in and go.  On some older kenwoods there was some reconfiguring
that had to be done to get this to work, but it shouldn't be a problem on
the TS450S, TS690S, or TS850S series radios.

As for the relay type tuners, that's all I've ever seen out of LDG, and it
is pretty much the way everyone is developing them today.  Personally, I
liked the older motor driven tuners better myself, but I think the relay
type are more compact and much less expensive to manufacture.

Take care and 73, de Lou K2LKK

At 07:47 PM 9/27/2008 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello;
>A friend is tuner shopping and supposedly ldg is coming out with a tuner
>that will work with any kenwood that is or was at300 compatible.  In this
>case, my friend has an old but working ts850.  Would the tune button on the
>radio work with this new tuner?  If not what tuners from ldg have worked
>best?  Do they all use relays instead of the old motor system?  Can any type
>of auto band change system be set up with an older radio?
>Thanks in advance
>Richard
>

>--
>1:11 PM