From:
Cris Ramsdale <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cris Ramsdale <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Sep 2008 21:38:57 -0700

Hi all,

I've been diagnosed for less than a year, and way too often I experience
cross-contamination. I have to chalk a lot of it up to not being bold
enough, not wanting to be a burden. I'd love some feedback on how to explain
well in restaurants (I've read plenty in books, but to hear some personal
experience would help. Particularly when you don't get far enough into you
explanation before the server begins to say, "yeah, I understand." I'm
finding that often they understand some, but not quite enough.)

Then last night we went to dinner at a friends. She swore up and down she
was careful and genuinely wanted to take good care of me. There was a group
people there, and another women I knew who claimed to have celiac but is
self diagnosed without follow up testing. There was also a women there who
was intolerant but not celiac. Anyway, they were very comfortable with the
food and I didn't eat anything different than they did. However, I was
lulled into relaxing my guard because today I felt horrible. It was so sad
to me because I felt so safe and well cared for last night.

I really don't want to hide from being in community where food is involved
but I so need to learn to be bolder for my sake and for the sake of my
spouse and two small kids who bear the brunt of my bad days. Plus I really
want to heal and hate the thought that I'm continuing to do damage.

Thanks for listening and for any stories you have to share.

cris