From:
Dean Kukral <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Oct 2009 19:37:22 -0500
There is a little confusion here that I think that I can clear up.  A 64 bit system - "a 64 bit architecture" - refers to the word
length internal to the cpu.  It generally represents the number of memory locations that can be addressed in one word, two to the
sixty-fourth power.  I believe that all home computer cpu's have had a  64 bit architecture for a good number of  years.

Now, what you are talking about below is the operating system, not the hardware, of the computer.  For some years now, XP, Vista,
and, now, Windows 7 have come in two versions: sixty-four bit and thirty-two bit.  This  has to do with how programs are written and
compiled to run on the computer.  If you  have a 32-bit version of Windows, the cpu still does its work internally in 64 bits, but
the 32-bit operating system translates between the cpu and the program.  It is probably much more complicated than this, but I think
that this conveys the gist of it.

The 64-bit versions of Windows are able to address more than 4GB of memory, the limitation of the 32-bit versions, and, in general,
run better than the 32-bit versions of Windows.  But, the 64-bit versions have been slow to catch on because people who write the
software to sell want the largest possible market for their programs, which is the more traditional 32-bit system.  And, it is extra
work (and a learning curve that they may not want to climb) to write software that will work with either operating system.

For example, I purchased a new HP laptop several years ago that had Windows Vista 64-bit version on it.  One of the reasons for the
laptop was to take it outside to run my telescope using "Starry Night" software.  However, the Starry Night would not run on the
64-bit version.  I had to wait a half of a year and purchase an upgrade  ($150) of Starry Night that would work with the 64-bit
operating system.  Had I known this, I might have not purchased the 64-bit operating system computer!  So, you can see why it is
slow to catch on.

You do not need 3GB of memory to run Windows 7.  Your computer will  run better, however, if you have at least 2GB of memory.

I hope that this clears things up a bit, and we are here to help if needed.

Dean Kukral