From:
Richard Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Oct 2009 11:07:19 -0400
Bob, You might have to ask IBM. (OR MS...)
When this happens with me and HP laptops, I just buy their recovery CD.
Last one was around $15. (A small price to pay.)
Sometimes they go "out of stock", so "older computers" might not be
able to get them at the very time they actually need them the most...
(bummer on that.)

Here is a "brief" overview.

The (single)  OEM disk you used is for "small-OEMs".
IBM is a "large-OEM". They are likely using BIOS LOCKED CDs/keys.
MS ties their "install media types" to the "Channel type" when they
make their Install Keys.
Example: An OEM key will NOT work with a Retail (FPP) CD.
The problem is, the small-OEM CDs are very much like the Retail (FPP) CDs.
EXCEPT for the license. (And the keys.)
I don't know if the "small vs large"-OEM uses the same channel keys.
(Lost yet?, it gets worse...)

I never tried what you said. But I have used the "small OEM" CDs myself.
The only way you will know for sure is to stick in a new (blank) HD
and do a test install. You will NOT have to try an activation for something "that old".
It will (or will not) refuse your key at that key "input" screen... (At least I "think so".)
This is why you use a blank HD, you loose nothing except time...
At that point, I generally activate and keep the new HD (being actually a NEW one)
and re-install my programs.  There is nothing like a clean install to fix up a damaged
or cluttered system. The legal part is you keep all the same hardware otherwise.
If ANYTHING goes wrong, I stick in the OLD HD and erase the new one...

This type of "key question" is a very tough subject...

1.) Yes, maybe. It would be legal, the BIG question is will it work?

2.) The license needs to be the same "Channel type".
     An "in-place" re-install might not work. CERTAIN other repairs will work fine.

3.) There is a file (or two) on the HD pertaining to the "hardware hash"
     that is made at the time of the original install.  Wpa.dbl
     It, (and a single back-up), are in windows/system32
     You "can" save and restore that for an INDIVIDUAL computer, but it is hardware
     locked to THAT computer, so can't be used on other computers...
     IF you do a format or ANYTHING that looses that file, an activation will be required.
     (Unless you use a BIOS LOCKED key. They "never" require activation.)
     (But some were abused and MS blocked some factory image keys.)
     IF the hardware changes enough, an activation will be required.
     Being OEM licenses, if the hardware changes too much (as defined by MS)
     they might say it is a new computer and deny an activation since an OEM
     license can't be moved to significantly better hardware. (MS was lax on this,
     but you could never "bet the farm" on it...)
See the following for more about this:
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914232>

4.) Rather than copy it, do a "slipstream" on it and use the slipstreams instead.
     This assumes the CD disk used would have otherwise worked properly.
     Disclaimer: For the first timer ever, I've had trouble making XP slipstream
     CDs on a Vista "box". (A certain file and sector always burns bad.)
     Make them (build them) on an XP box if you can. YMMV.

Disclaimer: MS makes this as complicated as possible to reduce casual piracy.
Complicated means (among other things) that the details of the EXACT senerio
need to be examined and dealt with on an "almost" individual basis.
You will hear all types of stories from people that say "it worked for me..."
I'm sure it did, for their exact circumstances.

Good luck...

Rick Glazier
CC: offlist, please keep everything ON-list.

From: "Bob Lendrim"
>I have 4 XP computers in use now. The oldest is a desktop I built. For that, I bought an XP Pro OEM disk, and had my friendly
>computer guy install it for me because I wasn't familiar with XP. I still have the installation disk which is labeled as follows:
> "Windows XP Professional 1-2 CPU
> OEM Product"
> The last 3 XP computers I bought are reconditioned IBM units. They all have a Windows license sticker but no Windows CD. The OS is
> on a small partition on the C: drive. I assume this is common practice nowadays, but don't know why and it doesn't seem reliable
> to me.
>
> When the hard drive fails in my newer computers, I will probably lose the "restore" partition, and will lose the use of the
> computer because I lost the OS which I bought and paid for. Could I install a new hard drive, use the older XP CD to install the
> OS and use the license number for the appropriate computer? It's the easiest way I can think of.
>
> 1. Will I be able to do that from a practical and legal point of view?
> 2. Can I use my 1 CD to repair a different computer that has a valid license?
> 3. Will I have to reactivate the installation(s)? Never done that.
> 4. The computers are in 2 different locations. Can I copy the CD so as to have a
>   copy with each machine?
>
> I'm not trying to beat the system, just keep what I have paid for.
> Thanks for any info and suggestions. Bob
>
>                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
>               articles, how-to's, tech tips and much more
>                          http://freepctech.com

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com