From:
Orf Bartrop <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Oct 2009 22:28:37 +1100
I have set up a computer so that a computer dummy mate of mine can keep
his system working despite what he does. The system might apply in your
case Bob - not the dummy bit.
I removed the "C" drive and equipped the computer with two mobile racks.
A mobile rack has a drawer that allows you to put a hard drive in that
drawer. The drawer is completely removable by pulling it out. The drive
in the drawer automatically connects to the computer when the drawer is
pushed. The drive in the drawer will run at the same speed as if it is a
resident drive. The racks were installed one above the other.
The bottom rack always contains the "C"drive and boots from this drive.
The top rack can contain another drive if, and only if, a drive is to be
copied. Normally this rack would be empty.
A copy is made of the "C" drive and put away off site in case every
thing goes bad, in which case it can start the computer with all
programs loaded. I call this drive the "Master" drive.
My friend copies the "C" drive every Friday to another drive in a spare
drawer, which I call the "Backup" drive.
Yet another drive in a spare drawer is available to backup the "C" at
any time but mainly used if new programs are to be loaded. I call this
drive "Backup 2" drive.
So we have two racks and four drives.
Using an old copy of Nortons Ghost for backing up, it is a matter of
putting a drawer in the top rack, a special floppy in the "A" drive and
boot to the the floppy. The floppy contains Nortons Ghost and command
line instructions to copy the drive in the lower rack to the drive in
the upper rack. All that is required is for the operator to press OK
when asked.
There are many ways to use the various drives, for instance, a backup at
the end of each day can be done using alternate spare drives.
If a virus or corruption is detected, turn off the computer, remove the
"C" drive, put in the latest backup drive in the lower rack, put the "C"
drive in the top rack, put the floppy in the "A" drive and turn on the
computer. The "backup" drive will overwrite the "C" drive thus making a
new "C" drive. Turn off the computer, remove the backup drive from the
bottom rack, remove the "C" drive from  from the top rack and put it in
the bottom rack.  And away we go...
You can use the cd drive instead of an "A" drive for the bootable disk
to start a backup.

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml