Date:
Thu, 14 Aug 2008 11:43:17 -0400

Thanks for all your anwers about the White Mtns.  It looks like several people will be up there on the same week as us, so maybe we will see you at Rafferty's or Bellinis!  We are staying on the other side of the Kancamagus, but it looks like we will eat well when we go over  to North Conway to go to the outlets.
I was in North Conway just last week and ate at all three of the places you mention.  The food is very good, especially at Bellini's.  I has a rice pasta with broccoli and grilled chicken in an alfredo sauce that was excellent.  The portion if very generous.  When I ordered the dish, the waitress asked if I was gluten intolerant to be sure that my complete meal would be handled properly.  The salad came without croutons and with a separate salad dressing for me to use.  I've been there several times over the last few years and have always had very good luck there.  We went to Rafferty's for the first time this year.  It is a very casual restaurant with very good food.  Being able to order a fried seafood platter with fries and onion rings, something I would not usually order more than once every year or two in my preCeliac days, was a treat not to be missed.  While the coating on the seafood didn't really qualify as the batter that the menu indicated, it was still quite good.  Keep in mind that both of these restaurants are closed on Tuesdays.

We had pizza from the Flat Bread Pizza that was pretty good but expensive.  When we asked about gluten free pizza we were told we could order any small size pizza on the menu gluten free.  Nothing was said about price and I foolishly assumed the price would be comparable to the small pizzas listed on the menu.  The gluten free pizzas cost almost $14 each.  What upset me about this was the fact that there was no mention of the price difference on the menu.

If you are driving up to North Conway by way of Rt. 16, there is a great little place in Ossippee, about 30 minutes from North Conway, called the Yankee Smokehouse.  If you ask, they have a list of their items that are gluten free.  I don't know about Bellini's, but the other three serve Redbride Beer also.
 This June I was in the Jackson N.H. area.   I stayed at the Inn at Thorn Hill on route 16,Phone 603-383-4242 and The Sunset House in Franconia 603-823-5522 while on a guided hiking trip.  I wrote the Inns and the hiking company ahead of time telling what I could and could not eat.  They each said their kitchens were well prepared for Gluten Free meals.  Each day they made a small loaf of GF bread just for me.  The Sunset House made my loaf look like a large cupcake and the texture was silky.  Food was prepared on a dedicated grill.  It all tasted wonderful.
     These are Inns.  I don;t know  if they take outside reservations.  Call if you will be in that area.  It's a beautiful place to travel to.  Have a good trip.
My parents have a vacation home in N. Conway and they actually own Rafferty's Restaurant & Pub. I have never eaten at Bellini's. I would like to try it one of these days, so I'd be curious to see what other people have to say about it. I also have never eaten at Flatbread Pizza, but I did contact and meet with the manager about 6-8 months ago because I was interested in trying it. At that time, they shared a pizza oven and most of the same equipment. So I personally was not comfortable eating there. I explained all of this to the manager, so there is a chance that they have changed things to make cross contamination less of an issue. But I would look closely into that place before eating there if you are sensitive. And I obviously have eaten at Rafferty's numerous times and have a somewhat biased opinion. Most everything on the regular menu can be modified to be gluten free. They have a dedicated gluten free fryolator so you can get fried foods. I haven't found any other places where I can get fried food, so that is always a treat for me when I get up to North Conway a few times a year. They also have gf
pasta and desserts. I hope you enjoy your vacation. Please let me know about other places in the area that are safe to eat at.
We ate at Rafferty's about one year ago.  I was very impressed.  I think that the owner's daughter has Celiac's disease, which is why he started having the GF menu.  The food is classic pub type food (wings, nachos and that sort of thing) as well as burgers which can be served on a GF bun.  The owner came over and chatted with us, and I felt very confident in their understanding of the diet. It was a great experience for my daughter who has Celiac's. Not a fancy place, but fun to go to.
i have been to rafferty's,which is fair. it is typical pub food with a very varied menu. bellini's is good,too. there is usually a wait and it is a bit more upscale than raffertys. also, there is the yankee smokehouse. it is about 20 minutes south of north conway. the carrot cake is AWESOME!
I have been to New Hampshire just a few wks ago
and there are 2 restaurants in North Conway.
Rafferty's Restaurant & Pub and Bellini's Restaurante
Italiano, both located in North Conway and both are
closed on Tuesdays!  We happened to be visiting North
Conway on a Tuesday so I could not take advantage of
these gf restaurants.  However, the "Muddy Moose"
which is located on the opposite side of the street,
(on the left, headed north) has gf ribs.  There was a
waitress who worked there and her mother had Celiac
Disease and so she was able to advise me what to
order.
Hi, we just returned from the North Conway area.  I requested the same info
but haven't summarized yet.  We ate at Rafferty's, Bellini's and Muddy
Moose.   We thought Rafferty's had the best GF food, My husband really
enjoyed the hamburger, hot wings, pasta, and chili. We ate there twice.  The
Restaurant is very pub / diner like but the staff and food were delicious!
We also ate at Bellini's.  The pizza was very good but the pasta was just
ok.  The sherbet for dessert was very good also.
We ate at the Muddy Moose, they were not very aware of celiac but my husband
had a good steak one night and a grilled salmon another.
I hope this helps, we had a great time, the hiking was phenomenal!
Hi.  We were just in No. Conway two weeks ago where we ate at Rafferty's every night (except tuesday, they're closed).  Two of my kids are GF and they had the pizza, chicken tenders, cheese fries, cheeseburgers and ribs.  All were a hit, especially the ribs, cheese fries and chicken tenders!  This is our second trip there.  The owners are very nice and the whole staff is knowledgeable.  We also bought Deland's choc. choc, chip muffins from them and my son adored them!
We didn't go to either of the other restaurants so I can't help you there, but I would highly recommend Rafferty's.