Date:
Thu, 7 Aug 2008 21:34:03 -0400

I wanted to thank each and every one of you for writing back with your
advice and support. The number of responses was great; THANK YOU! This will
likely be a long summary. I don't have a bread machine, but after some of
these replies, I may just ask for one when my birthday comes around. I'm
still a bit confused about the role of salt/baking soda/baking powder. Here
were the various replies:

   1. It doesn't say that you let the dough rise after you put it in the
   pan.  That could be the problem.
   2. The alternative flours are heavier than wheat flour so they need
   something
   extra to help them rise.  I don't know how much yeast you are using, but
   try
   adding half the amount again.  If the recipe calls for 1 teaspoon of
   yeast,
   use 1 1/2 teaspoons.  Add 1 tablespoon cider vinegar to the moist
   ingredients.  The buttermilk adds acid that helps the bread to rise, but
   adding the additional vinegar may help.  You could bake the bread in 2
   smaller pans instead of one large pan; this often helps with the rising
   since each pan of dough is lighter than if you bake it all together.  The
   alternative flours will only rise once.  Preheat your oven to 200
   degrees;
   when it reaches that temperature, turn the oven off.  After placing the
   bread dough in your pan (or pans), place it in the still-warm oven to
   rise.
   It should double in size within 40 minutes.  There is also a chance that
   the
   yeast you are using has gone bad.  Even though the date on the packet
   indicates that it hasn't expired, if the packet was exposed to a lot of
   heat
   (in the back of a delivery truck), it can damage the yeast.  Hope this
   helps.
   3. I use 'bread from anna' and it is terrific and I have not had a
   problem with  the mix.  I make it in a bread machine.
   4. Thanks for the recipe.  I'm surprised at the baking time.  Most
   recipes call
   for a much longer time.  Also, there is no rising time before putting in
   the
   oven.  Do you think that might be the issue?
   5. Regarding why your bread doesn't rise:
   The flour and ingredients look fine.  So the most plausible reason for
   why
   it did not rise is simply that the bread dough was too heavy and needed
   be looser in texture-needed more liquid-so it was able to rise.
   Even if the yeast was old or activated too quickly if too hot a
   temperature,
   there was baking powder in the recipe to allow it to rise.  My guess is
   just
   play a little with the buttermilk and add 2 Tbsp more or so at a time
   until
   the dough is like very thick almost pourable texture.
   6. First off, you are not going to get a biig loaf of bread using only 2
   cups of flour.  Second, I would disolve the yeast in a 1/4 cup 110-115
   degree temp water and a little sugar, instead of room temp buttermilk.  I
   would increase the soda to 1 teaspoon; I have always been told to use 1/2
   the amount of soda to the baking powder.  And lastly, using to starches may
   keep the size down, you might want to use 1 cup of cornstarch and 1/4 cup
   brown rice flour.  All the recipes I have ever used have always called for 3
   forms of flour, if not more.
   7. Thank you for sending the recipe.  I wrote yesterday with a suggestion
   to use a slow-rise method, starting with half of the dry ingredients and all
   liquid overnight.  Now that I see the recipe, I think it might be worth
   using more than two types of starch as the flour base.  I would be tempted
   to use something with more protein, like amaranth and navy bean flour, in
   addition to the cornstarch and potato starch.
   8. Our bread making is one big guess most of the time.  I would suggest
   that
   you might add extra yeast, or perhaps an extra egg.  If your batter is
   pretty "soupy", use less water.  I'd start with 1/4 cup less, then add
   more,
   1 tablespoon at a time till it holds its shape a bit. I'm far from
   "expert" on this.  Good luck
   9. Are you using baking powder? Do you use separately beaten egg whites
   and fold them in?
   10.  I have baked a lot of GF bread, with some failures and even more
   successes.  Is your recipe a yeast-raised dough?  That will make some
   difference.  If it is not yeast-raised, you might experiment with additional
   guar gum and xanthan gum. If the recipe includes yeast, one list member has
   recommended letting part of the recipe sit overnight.  You mix the full
   volume of liquid with half of the dry ingredients, including all of the
   yeast.  (This is not exact, so I urge you to check the St. John's listserv
   for posts about this.  I hope the 'real' author gets back to you!).  I tried
   this method and was pleased with the result.
   11.  I have baked a lot of GF bread, with some failures and even more
   successes.  Is your recipe a yeast-raised dough?  That will make some
   difference.  If it is not yeast-raised, you might experiment with additional
   guar gum and xanthan gum. If the recipe includes yeast, one list member has
   recommended letting part of the recipe sit overnight.  You mix the full
   volume of liquid with half of the dry ingredients, including all of the
   yeast.  (This is not exact, so I urge you to check the St. John's listserv
   for posts about this.  I hope the 'real' author gets back to you!).  I tried
   this method and was pleased with the result.
   12. I will tell you what I did and I will also forward an email regarding
   a tall bread pan that is designed for this very problem.

   I had your problem and so I bought a couple of Muffin top pans which make
   a nice soft large bun for sandwiches and or toast. The bun is about 4-5
   inches wide and serves well. In addition I occasionally made a few baguettes
   (small french breads)  which could be sliced and buttered. Pans for this can
   be purchased at a cooks store. I also put batter (dough) into regular muffin
   tins to create dinner rolls. I will now send to you another email with the
   special tall bread pans. The idea being that by making them taller and
   thus thinner more bread is exposed to hot pan  area and thus gets fully
   cooked and crusty.
   13. Try adding a tsp baking powder.
   14. First of all, 2 cups of flour is not much, it won't make a large
   bread.

Second, the problem is you have only starches, and no flour with proteins,
such as sorghum or bean flours. So, next time, I would multiply your recipe
by 1 1/2, for example, use, 1 1/4 c. buttermilk + 5/8 c., etc...And for the
flour, use the exact same amount of the starches you already have, but add 1
cup of garbanzo bean flour.  The garbanzo bean fl. is the one that will add
leavening.  Sorghum would do too, but it adds way less leavening.

You could use 1/2 c. of each sorghum and garbanzo too, but I would begin
with the garbanzo.

   1. Here is my solution :)  I am retired and discovered that the Base
   Commissary here in Charleston, SC or anywhere for that matter, sells Van's
   g/f waffles for 2.19. You can toast these in a toaster oven till slightly
   brown and they are great for sandwiches or hamburgers.  I talked Wal-Mart
   into carrying these waffles and they sold fro 1.74.  Then they quit carrying
   any Van's waffles.
   2. Not taller but wanted to make a suggestion that I found here that has
   pleased me so much. Forget about trying to make bread that looks like the
   bread you were used to and make hamburger buns instead. They do not look
   like the hamburger buns sold in stores but they are a nice size and do not
   fall apart. I began by using tuna fish and bonita cans but finally found
   something the right size to make them in. Most of the bread recipes take
   about 20 minutes to bake when made as hamburger buns. When cool I
   cut into top and bottom slices and freeze in Ziplock bags.  When ready to
   use they take 25-35 seconds to microwave and taste just out of the oven
   fresh.
   3. If you think it is the lack of gluten try one of the Gluten Replacers.
   Just search the web for
   "gluten replacer"
   (include the quotes) and find a brand you know and can have locally.