From:
Fran Kilmer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Fran Kilmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Sep 2009 18:56:54 -0700

 This is my first post. Hope it goes through okay.

My question is regarding a coffee substitute called Dandy Blend. It contains roasted rye and barley and yet it states it contains no gluten. This is what is posted on the website:

                    Q. DandyBlend contains barley and rye. So, how can
                    it contain no detectable gluten?

                    A. DandyBlend is made from extracts of barley and rye,
                    not from barley and rye themselves. The roasted grains are
                    mixed with the roasted roots, are ground, and then the
                    water-soluble components (nutrients, minerals, biologically
                    active substances) are leached out of the mash by hot water,
                    just like you do when making tea. The liquid extract which
                    is collected at the bottom is then spray dried to make the
                    powder which we then call DandyBlend. Why no gluten?
                    Gluten is not water soluble; it only dissolves in alcohol.
                    Therefore, since no alcohol is used in the extracting
                    process, all the gluten stays back in the mash. Tests done
                    by Eliza-Tek Laboratories confirm the absence of detectable gluten in
                    Dandy Blend.

My question for some knowledgeable person is...Can this really be true?

And has anyone on the List actually used this product?

I look forward to learning more.

Thanks.

Fran