C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 2008 08:51:42 -0500
Mags, you're right, it was a joke.  Severely visually impaired folks
generally can't (and shouldn't) be driving.  Speaking of your elderly
friend, Laura's grandmother had age-related vision issues so bad that
she had to watch TV with a pair of binoculars (no kidding!)...and she'd
still drive!  She had so many fender benders that she eventually lost
her license and her ability to purchase car insurance.  She kept driving
anyway, and no amount of pleading or rationalization from the family
could sway her.  She would drive, on the freeway, 20 miles round-trip
each week to her favorite market.  We offered to take her anywhere she
wanted, anytime she wanted, but that car was her independence and no one
was going to take it from her (I understand her passion, but not her
logic).

Laura's brother and I would try to immobilize the car by doing things
like stripping the spark plug wires from the engine, but she'd pay some
neighbor kid to slap 'em back on and away she'd go!  Craig (Laura's
brother) even called the cops on her to have her arrested when he found
the car out of the garage one day.  We wanted the judge to force her to
sell the car, but there was nothing in the law that would provide for
that.  The whole family is fortunate that she didn't get out and kill
someone.  She was a stubborn old bird!

Kyle

bob, i have an elderly friend who was driving for many years with vision
in one eye... scary.  however I think kyle was joking when he said the
audio was for vision impaired... It's also good for people because it
keeps the drivers eyes on the road!

http://www.zazzle.com/TamarMag*
Tamar Mag Raine