C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Deri James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 May 2010 16:06:08 +0100
On Thursday 06 May 2010 14:30:59 Barbara Hadley wrote:
> Ah, ok!  At the top of the page - on the Windows toolbar (which includes
> File, Edit, View, Favorites, Tools, and Help), click the View tab.  A
> dropdown menu opens, and you should arrow down to the ninth option,
> which is Encoding.  Select it, and another dropdown menu opens with the
> following options: Auto-Select, Western European (Windows), Western
> European (ISO), Unicode (UTF-8), More (and a couple other options about
> reading direction that we needn't worry about right now).  You will want
> to select Unicode (UTF-8), the fourth option down. I think that will fix
> your problem - at least I really hope so!  I'm not a pro at this by any
> measure.
>
> If my directions are still too fuzzy to interpret, give a yell back and
> I'll give it another shot.  My husband is an IT dude, and I can check
> with him.
>
> Good luck!

Hi Gary,

In case this doesn't work (which sets browser to assume pages are encoded to
UTF-8).

I suspect it is the Google Server (rather than browser) which thinks you want
German pages!! At the top right of the Google home page you will see either
"Search Settings" (or " Sucheinstellungen" if  its gone german!!). Click this
and you get a page which lets you pick your language. Set both the spinner at
the top and the tick box to "Englisch".

Perhaps an even easier way is to delete all "cookies" for google.com. I don't
know how you do this in IE (I'm a Linux guy) but someone on here may know. Be
careful not to delete all cookies, just those for google. After doing this
google will default back to english.

One further thought, this URL may give you temporary respite till we work out
what's happening:-

<http://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en>

or (if you iGoogle)

<http://www.google.com/ig?hl=en>

(the "?hl=en" in the URL overides the other settings).

Cheers

Deri

PS If you still have problems. take a screen shot of the germanic search page
and send it to my email address.