BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Ilene R. Tyler" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Sep 2008 09:34:55 -0400
Back channel to Rudy, but continuing discussion about quarter round...

Our house has no "sheet goods" but still the trim could have been added in the late 19th or early 20th century, or perhaps when the floors were refinished, to cover the edge that was not easily sanded. It's everywhere, including around the base of 1840s fireplace surrounds, but not in front of door frame plinths, or along stair runs.  In some cases it is oak to match the flooring, and in some/most cases painted to match the baseboards.

Actually, I think it was added when they added the flooring.  The house originally had a single layer of pine boards, but in the 1880s the oak top flooring was added, and perhaps they used the quarter round to cover the edge cuts.

Yup, that's it.  Thanks.

Ilene R. Tyler, FAIA
QUINN EVANS | ARCHITECTS
219 1/2 N. Main Street
Ann Arbor, MI  48104
ph: 734 663-5888
fx: 734 663-5044

Date:    Fri, 5 Sep 2008 08:42:25 -0400
From:    Rudy R Christian <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Quarter round history

Ilene,

Can you drop me a note back channel?

Thanx,

Rudy

Date:    Fri, 5 Sep 2008 15:44:19 EDT
From:    [log in to unmask]

-------------------------------1220643859

I-

It's my understanding that the use of quarter round at baseboards coincided
with the use of sheet goods for floor coverings, ca 1900-20.

Twybil

--

-------------------------------1220643859

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2900.3157" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
Arial"=20
e_document=20
face=3DArial color=3D#000000 size=3D2>
<DIV>I-</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>It's my understanding that the use of quarter round at baseboards coinc=
ided=20
with the use of sheet goods for floor coverings, ca 1900-20.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Twybil</DIV></FONT><BR><BR><BR><DIV><FONT style=3D"color: black; font:=20=
normal 10pt ARIAL, SAN-SERIF;"><HR style=3D"MARGIN-TOP: 10px">Psssst...Have=20=
you heard the news? <A title=3D"http://www.stylelist.com/trends?ncid=3Daolst=
y00050000000014" href=3D"http://www.stylelist.com/trends?ncid=3Daolsty000500=
00000014" target=3D"_blank">There's a new fashion blog, plus the latest fall=
 trends and hair styles at StyleList.com</A>.</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>
--
http://listserv.icors.org/archives/bullamanka-pinheads.html

End of BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Digest - 4 Sep 2008 to 6 Sep 2008 (#2008-207)