From:
Kyle Elmblade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Jul 2008 05:30:40 -0700
Keep in mind, all, that a firewall cannot prevent a virus. Viruses can sneak
in over port 80 or 443 just as easily as any other port. A firewall is
designed to prevent intrusion from outside systems.

Unless, of course, we are talking about blocking outgoing ports, which can
be just as important, depending on the organization the firewall is there to
protect. Sometimes you want to prevent the use of certain ports going out so
that something "bad" doesn't happen when using them. Or to prevent a
spyware/malware/virus application from being able to use odd outbound ports
to do their dirty work.

A firewall is for blocking malicious activity. For preventing such
maliciousness from getting on your system in the first place you want to
rely on your virus protection application.

Cheers!
Kyle Elmblade

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml