BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gabriel Orgrease <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Apr 2010 08:26:38 -0400
On 4/23/2010 9:39 AM, Hammarberg, Eric wrote:
> I suspect you could develop data on the specific rivets with chemical and coupon type tests other than basic tension.

Eric,

Later in the day sheer occurred to me.
I will follow up w/ Don after I do my homework.
Yes, chemical and other tests can be done. Question is for what reason?

On the one hand you can simply look at these rivets and surmise that
there is nothing particularly odd about them. They have been doing their
thing for more than a hundred years. Balance that against repeated
statements re: we have a budget for this investigation (undisclosed
budget target), and in the walk-about a cost-benefit analysis sort of
happens in the discussion. Up to that point of the walk-about the RFP
was very diffuse in scope -- which caused us on our end to feel that we
were wasting our time in responding at all (but good relationships
prevailed and possibly what was actually happening was that a newcomer
to an existing cluster of relationships was being brought into focus).
Information, as you all know, can be costly. Sometimes the pursuit of it
is not worth the cost. Once we had a clear idea what information was
needed we were able to express how physically the desired information
could be obtained with least cost and effort and we reduced the field
cost on our part to a 5th of what we had been previously looking at. We
also walked away comfortable and confident that we know exactly what
needs to be done... that craftsmanship thing, obviously.

So, now I am curious if a timber peg works like a rivet, in tension and
sheer?

][<