BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Susan Maltby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Dec 2009 14:41:51 -0500
Thanks.  By way of introduction, I am a conservator in private
practice (have been now for 20 years).  Prior to setting up my own
practice, I worked for 4 years at the Canadian Conservation Institute
in Ottawa, Canada in the Ethnology lab.  My practice is somewhat
diverse when compared with other conservators here in private
practice.  I am an objects conservator.  The objects that I deal with
range from archaeological materials to buildings.  Buildings, to me,
are just big objects in an uncontrolled environment.  Many years ago
now I fell into dealing with buildings & was never allowed to fall out
of it.  I also work as part of multidisciplinary teams doing a variety
of projects (e.g., Museum masterplans, historic interiors conservation
plans...).  I love working in multidisciplinary teams as I love the
fact that everyone else there does not see things the way that I do -
there is an incredible synergy that comes from working that way.
Education, both through teaching (Museum Studies Programme, University
of Toronto, University of Victoria Cultural Resource Management
Programme & Campbell Center for Historic Preservation) & writing
(columnist with _Coin World_ & contributor to _Old House Journal_) has
been very important to me & my life as a conservator.  Although much
of my work is consultative, I do carryout treatments (e.g., outdoor
bronze sculptures) & seem to spend a lot of time dealing with really
big objects that aren't buildings (e.g., 120 coreten steel sculpture,
a cast iron fountain...).

I'm not much for burnt furniture but I do really love historic sheetmetal.

Enough about me.

sue

Quoting [log in to unmask]: