From:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 31 Dec 2008 21:13:45 -0500
I was at the QTH of my brother, W6PR in San Diego over the Christmas
vacation.  On December 24 I caught an opening, which lasted an hour or so,
from San Diego to Argentina at about 1900 UTC.  People worked some DX during
the ARRL ten-meter contest in mid-December.  It really helps to be using
full-sized antennas, and to be using CW or SSB, not FM for this kind of
marginal DX.  Check the beacons often.  I am finding that, especially on 15
meters, the band can be open and nobody transmits, so they think that it is
dead.  There are some broadcast stations above 15 meters, and the NCDXF
beacons on 21150.

Solar flux was around 66 in mid-summer.  It is now around 68 to 70.  This is
partly because the earth is closer to the sun in January than in July.

In each sunspot cycle, solar flux does increase faster than it decreases, on
average, so once it gets moving we should hear some action, starting with
paths to the south, southeast and southwest.  I didn't have good antennas in
the late 50's.  But one memorable moment was when I heard British and French
television AM audio below six meters on an NC183D from Vinton, Iowa, in
October, 1959.  The antenna was nothing special, just an 80-meter dipole.
The equipment people have today is far superior to what they had in the late
50's.  Practically all phone activity was AM and not SSB, and the average CW
station was rather chirpy on 10 meters.  We'll see what kind of solar
activity we get in Cycle 24.

Lloyd Rasmussen, W3IUU, Kensington, Maryland
Home:  http://lras.home.sprynet.com
Work:  http://www.loc.gov/nls