From:
Steve Dresser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Nov 2008 09:58:32 -0500
Phil,

Synchronous detection is the receiver's ability to lock on to a carrier and
supply that carrier's frequency to the detector during selective fading.
When it works properly, as it does in the 2010, the result is to minimize
the distortion on an AM signal that occurs when the carrier drops out
leaving only the sidebands.  As I said, it's one of the 2010's best
features.

Steve