From:
Louis Kim Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jul 2008 11:01:28 -0400
Hi Richard.

My experience with Freedom Scientific is that they do not endorse any third
party product, much as that would sometimes be helpful.  Since they, better
than anyone, understand how easily such things can lead to litigation, I
can appreciate their position.

If you think about it, endorsing someone  else's product should be every
technology company's worst nightmare.  Say for example version 2 of so and
so's product works great with your screen reader and you make the
recommendation and the next week the company releases version 3 which
doesn't work at all.  Of course your customer gets version 3 and gets
ticked off with you for recommending the product and wasting their time and
money.

I think that sorting these issues out is where user groups and adaptive
technology centers come into play because they can sort out what works and
what doesn't before you spend your money.

73, de Lou K2LKK

At 10:38 AM 7/28/2008 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi;
>Thanks everyone for the good info.  I think I can help my friend uninstall
>norton but the jury is out as to what to try next.  I agree that you only
>get what you pay for.  The apparent problem with both norton and MacAfee is
>they are somewhat difficult to use with a screen reader.  I'd like to buy a
>quality program that was also easily managed with speech.
>The interesting part is that my friend called freedom scientific and asked
>what worked best with jfw and apparently they were unwilling or unable to
>commit themselves.
>Since most everyone will be running some type of protection they should of
>had a list of compatible programs maybe.
>Thanks again
>Richard
>

>--
>6:43 AM