From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jul 2008 13:20:05 -0600
except none of those are under $300 unless you can find one used.
The FM receivers of yesteryear are something to be missed.  Modern receivers
are probably better over all, but in an urban environment, they are so
sensative that they pick everything up and make for a less then optimal
listening experience.
You can find the kenwood TM V7A's for less then 300 on the used market.
They have great receivers, can take a voice chip and have pretty much the
same bells and whistles the most current radios do.

That said, the kenwood TM V71, while expensive, is well worth the
investment.  You wouldn't need to buy another dual band FM transceiver for
many years to come if you perchase the tm v71.
73
Colin, V A6BKX