From:
Tim and Jo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tim and Jo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 May 2008 22:42:38 -0400

Hi,

A couple of months back I asked you all how about your relationships with your GPs and got some very helpful responses. I've just talked with our GP about long-term care for our celiac daughter and had this odd conversation with her about auto-immune diseases.

Unrelated to our case, she has attended some seminars on celiac (to her credit) and was given to understand that celiac isn't necessarily genetic as one can develop celiac anytime during your life. Her take is that our daughter wasn't born with celiac since she wasn't a sickly baby that failed to thrive, but developed it between the age of 18mo - 2yrs. The bigger picture is that there is a theory or thought that with the prevalence and over-use of antibiotics etc. our immune systems don't have enough to do so these killer cells in our bodies that should normally be working on diseases turn on our own bodies and start attacking it. This could then explain how one could develop type 1 diabetes when you weren't born with it.

Has anyone else heard this?

Our GP and I agreed that in the end it doesn't matter, since the end results are the same: Kate has a life-long intolerance of gluten. I'm just curious about who is saying this, since I have only heard this from her and not from anything I have read or the (one) conference I attended. Is this a common understanding or something 'out there'?

Jo