Date:
Wed, 13 Feb 2008 18:26:16 EST

I was cautioned by my regular dentist to be careful who I looked for help
from.  He told me there are a lot of strange "cures" for dental pain and few
work
and are of real benefit to the patient.
The oral surgeon told me I would always have flare ups of pain from the nerve

damage and also to be very careful who I looked for help from.  I'm in NY
area and he gave me the name of someone in the Boston area as the only one
he'd
trust.  I tucked it away in a file but have not pursued it.  He called this
tri-geminal neuralgia.
I do find the pain is much worse in the winter months and try to keep my jaw
well wrapped with a scarf when outside.  I also have a night guard that
relieves pressure on the teeth as I believe I now clench them when asleep.
Sometimes I wake up at night and my teeth hurt........however as I wake up
more fully
I realize the teeth that hurt are gone!  I guess it's like phantom pain.
Teeth are so much trouble to care for but it's worse when you lose them.  I
hope you will find what works for you.
+++
Do you mean that you are having trouble healing?  I had an operation where
they added artificial calcium to my shrinking gums and covered it with skin
from
my hip. I think this operation is obsolete now. For months and months I had
healing problems and the dentist said that my mouth was turning cancerous.
Then I found out about gluten. I eliminated that and then I healed.
I was to get implants after that but refused since I had gone through so much

misery already.  I was told there would be maintenance forever with implants
but that was about 10 years ago...
+++
I have not had dental implants, but would never consider getting them. My own

dentist does them and considers them perfectly safe, but I've read many
personal tales of people with compromised immune systems going dramatically
down
hill after having them put in and recovering almost as dramatically once they

had them removed. In some cases they didn't know they had any issues until
they
had the implants installed. One of the dentists who speaks out often against
implants is Dr. Hal Huggins. He is also the dentist who was so vehement
against
mercury being used in fillings. The ADA banned him from practicing in the US,

but it's getting rarer and rarer for mercury to be used in fillings now. My
own dentist who is a member of the ADA very carefully said to me that mercury

is safe in fillings, BUT he used composite fillings vs mercury now and he'd
be
happy to take out my mercury fillings for me. Hmmm. I heard Dr. Huggins speak

and he was very convincing. He is not alone in his beliefs, he is just alone
in his willingness to speak out. Hope you get some helpful responses so you
can
decided how to proceed. Oh, BTW, I had to chuckle when you put out your
clarification email. I had assumed correctly you meant dental implants, but
figured
you might be getting some interesting responses and IMHO implants of any type

are bad. We are just not supposed to "implant" put foreign objects in our
body--it rebels. Back to breasts, I had a biopsy of my breast several years
ago
and they wanted to insert a tiny titanium marker in it to mark the potential
problem spot in case they had to go back in. I absolutely refused to allow
them
to do that. I told them they had the exact location of the spot noted and I
didn't want anything foreign in my body. The doctor was refusing to continue
with the procedure per the nurse, until I spoke to him directly and told him
had celiac. Then he backed off. He told me that his late father had celiac. I

asked him if he had been tested for celiac yet and he said he had not.
Amazing,
but I digress a bit ... the point is he GOT my concerns about having celiac
and not wanting something foreign in my body to further mess with my immune
system.
+++