From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 1998 18:48:04 -0500
At 14:29 03-02-98 -0500, Rick wrote:
>I have an Advansys 940u scsi card and an internal phillips cdd2600 cd-r
>insatlled on my computer . It is a pent.166mmx running win 95. Everything
>is finally working here but when i tried to hook up my Artec Viewstation
>scanner it will not recognise it. The scanner is set to device 6 and the
>cd-r is set for 2. I was told this card is self terminating. Do i still
>need to terminate the scanner? I have tried to find a terminator with no
>success.Can i make one? Can i use just another scsi cable hooked to the
>scanner as a terminator?

Hi Rick

A SCSI bus must be terminated at both ends. With an internal CDR and
an external scanner, the controller card is not at an end of the bus
and it should not be terminated. (The self termination may or may not
correctly unterminate.) You must terminate the CDR *AND* the scanner
since they are at the ends of your SCSI bus.

Note that the terminator will require power. Some external cables
are cheaply wired so that the "termpower" line does not go through.
You may have to leave your scanner powered up all the time, and
set to "supply termposer". (But hopefully not.)

You can buy a terminator at stores like CompUSA or mailorder from
dalco, corpsys, JDR, Jameco, tmcscsi, scsipro, scsi-cables, tmcscsi,
or cablemakers. (Simply paste these "names" into your browser window
and off you go. They are all www.___.com addresses, but the latest web
browsers shouldn't require the http, www and com stuff.)

If you plan on getting a SCSI hard drive, get an "Active" terminator
instead of a "passive" terminator. This is a requirement for any
Fast or Ultra SCSI bus, and not a bad idea for any SCSI bus at all.

If you try to make the terminator and you have problems, you will
not know if it is your terminator or something else. People seem
to have enough problems getting scanners to work with professionally
made terminators without complicating things with homemade parts.
(Just my opinion.)

Regards,
Bill