From:
Jim Swayze <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Apr 2009 17:00:03 -0500
Man, I loved arguing with you!  Glad to have you back Wally.

1) Calories are determined by burning particular foods in an
instrument called a bomb calorimeter.  The body, however, is much
more complex than this simple instrument.  And while in principle the
more calories you eat, the fatter you get, the macronutrient mix of
the food or foods in question is far and away the most important
thing.  There is no such thing as a simple caloric calculus despite
what the experts tell you.

2) But my bigger point was that exercise actually burns far fewer
calories than one would think -- and the types of exercise that burn
a lot of calories make one really, really hungry.  If you are
exercising to burn calories, you are all but wasting your time.  The
way to lose weight is to control what you eat.

Jim Swayze
www.fireholecanyon.com