From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Feb 1998 13:15:41 -0800

>Whew, hadn't intended to get this detailed. My basic question is why
>did the Seagate start to fail when it became the Master drive?
>Ideas anyone?

I once had noise develop with a 1 year old high end Seagate EIDE drive. To
be safe I contacted Seagate and to my surprise they diagnosed the drive as
failing and authorized an exchange. When I installed the rebuilt every
thing was fine for a few days but then a noise developed that was worse
then the original noise. I contacted Seagate they once again authorized an
exchange but now I was suspicious because I was receiving error messages
about both the Seagate master and the WD slave drive.
I performed extensive testing and my WD slave drive started reporting Disk
access problems. Swapping of components revealed  that it wasn't the hard
drive at all.....it was caused by the power supply Y. Once I replaced the Y
everything has worked normally.
The point to all this is that if your power supply and / or connections
aren't good you can get all sorts of errors that appear to be a failing
hard drive and when you then replace those components you may end making
better connections that unknowingly result in an resolution of you original
problem.

Mark