From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Apr 1998 16:30:05 -0600
At 01:33 PM 4/30/98 -0700, Don Cooley wrote:
>Bob
>
>I am using Win95 and there was not a card included - all Win95
>software and a serial cable to a 9 pin port.  It is a Vx.
>
>The Mx and Vx are basically the same.   They are advertised as Mx
>for Win95 and Vx for Apple.  It seems to me when the Vx first came
>out (no Mx at the time) it was build for both.  This was a factory
>refurbished one ($50.00) and fit my need exactly.
>
>Anyway it works from a parallel port on a Pentium running Win95.

Don,

I would contact Visioneer about this issue.  However, at first blush
I can tell you that I would not recommend attempting to move the
data for both the printer and a scanner through a single LPT port,
due to the sheer volume of data.

I understand your belief that since the Scanner often sends data
straight to the Printer that one port would simplify issues.  However,
this is not how it works.  The data is sent through the cable to the
motherboard, the processor, the software and back out to the
printer.  By channeling everything down one port and back out that
same port you will create a bottleneck that will slow the whole
process down.  If a Scanner actually sent data directly to a printer,
you would not need the computer...  you could hook the two
together and let them go...   (a copy machine).   Everything processes
through your CPU...  so it comes in and back out.

Using two separate channels/LPT ports actually makes the data
movement faster...

I guess my question is why would you need to put these two
peripheral devices on one parallel port?  Are you lacking for
motherboard slots?

BOB WRIGHT  -   [log in to unmask]  - http://nospin.com
Owner   PCBUILD - PCSOFT - VPLANETS - PCBLDFAQ